Saturday, October 15, 2011

Vampires and Hand jobs

3 months in and we are at the clinic waiting to find out if Peter will need blood products (yep that's what they call it).  He has need blood and platelets in the past so this is not longer as weird as it should be.

 The Doc comes in and says lymphoma will hide in the testicles. From what I know lymphoma doesn't really hide at all , it shows up as a big freaking tumor but as I am constantly reminded I am not a doctor or a radiologist. So now this resident is going to feel up my son.  I casually mention that we have been in treatment for 3 months and you are the first doc to mention that his testicles need squeezing and since he is 17 I think he'd prefer it if you didn't put on the big  plastic gloves.  This is why the residents don't like me.  

I remember being 17 and I would not have lived through the embarrassments my son has had to endure, though he is thinking about getting a tramp stamp that says exit only with a sign pointing down.

Luckily my sister sent us seasons 1 thru 4 of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, which lets a father and son talk more frankly and a lot more funny.  So after the Doc is done with her slap and tickle I turn to her  and to my son's horror say I think I have cancer now too.  (this is stolen directly from the show). He thought is was really funny , not so much her.

Turns out no need for blood products, he gets to go home.

Next Day Edit

A friend asked why I bagged on the Doctor for the hand job.  I think I must explain.

The Protocol that Peter is on is unchangeable.  That means if his nuts swelled to the size of softballs (the original size of his tumor) the regimen of treatments would go on exactly as they are right now.  4 more Chemo's and some radiation at the end.  This Lymphoma spreads and hides that is why the regimen is so intense, very quick but very strong chemo agents. This protocol works and has worked for 15 or more years and this resident was not doing anything to help.  Most of the residents we have met are great, 2 have been too smart for their own good.  This Resident did not help and lost the patients confidence .

No comments:

Post a Comment